Skip to main content products-and-services-icon Clear Filters Yes Bathrooms Bedrooms Car parks Dementia Get directions Featured Zoom Back Article icon Facebook Twitter Play Facebook Twitter RSS Info Trending item Drop down Close Member area Search External link Email

Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) benefits and services

If you're a veteran, war widow or widower, you may be able to access additional financial supports and look for aged care services through the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA).

Last updated: February 17th 2022
DVA benefits and services
Financial support for veterans and their families may be available for you through DVA.

Key points:

  • What financial support is available for veterans?
  • Eligibility for veterans payments
  • Support services for veterans

What financial support is available for veterans?

If you're a veteran, war widow or widower, you may be able to access additional financial supports and look for aged care services through the Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA). There are a number of different payments that you could apply for ranging from income support and housing assistance to support with accessing health services.

Eligibility for veterans payments

To be eligible for supports through the DVA you must meet the criteria of having served in the Australian Defence Force, be a veteran of certain countries allied with Australia or be a Reservist who participated in Disaster Relief Service or Border Protection Service.

There are specific rules around what constitutes as service, which can be read on the DVA website, but there are no age requirements for DVA supports or payments.

Support services for veterans

The support services funded through DVA payments include:

  • Veterans’ Home Care - for low level care to help you live at home for longer
  • Community nursing - for wound care, medication management, hygiene and personal care support
  • Respite care and carer support
  • Veterans’ Supplement - for mental health services
  • Health care - such as for GPs, medical specialists, allied health services, dental care, medication, glasses and hearing aids
  • Veteran Gold Card - for covering the costs of all health care services, medical aids and appliances
  • Veteran White Card - for covering the cost of mental health services and health care related to accepted disabilities, injuries or illnesses only, and for subsidised medication
  • Veteran Orange Card - for subsidised medication only
  • Repatriation Transport Scheme - for taxis or hire cars to health treatment
  • Medical management rehabilitation - help to understand medical information, organise treatment and follow programs for injury or disease contracted during service
  • Psychosocial rehabilitation - help with mental health and wellbeing for better quality of life
  • Vocational rehabilitation - help to find meaningful and sustainable employment
  • Defence Service Homes Scheme - home loans to help veterans and currently serving personnel to buy a house
  • Home Support Loan - to help with the cost of home maintenance or modifications

Other payments which the DVA gives directly to veterans, rather than to fund specific services, include:

  • Incapacity benefits - for when you are unable to work following military service related injury or disease
  • Permanent Impairment payments - compensation for a service related permanent injury or disease
  • Veteran payment - an interim financial support for people with undetermined mental health condition claims
  • Service Pension - a regular income payment for veterans, their partners and war widows or widowers. You don’t have to be over the age of 65 to access this pension, unlike other Government pensions
  • Disability Compensation - for injuries or diseases caused by service before 1 July 2004
  • Compensation to dependant family members of those who have died or were severely injured through service on or after 1 July 2004

Find out more about the benefits of care designed for veterans here.

For some of these services the DVA will cover the entire cost - for example for community nursing - and for some the DVA will contribute towards the cost, with the rest covered by another Government department or possibly yourself, such as for residential aged care.

A financial adviser will be able to assist in working through the different options available to you and how you can make the most of these supports.

For advice you can speak to a financial planner on 1300 863 216.

  1. Your Journey:
  2. Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) benefits and services


Aged Care Guide is endorsed by
 COTA logo
 ACIA logo
 ACSA logo
 LASA logo